CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, March 21, 2008

In Loving Memory of Oma



Tomorrow (March 21) it will be 4 years since Oma passed away. I'm sure it will be a hard day, but she's in heaven now - pain free - no more strokes for her. I'm sure she's having a party up there and looking down on us from above. I'm sure it will be a sad day, but I was never that close to her, but still sad to have her gone. I love her, and miss her but never did a lot of things together. She was a great mother, and grandmother - she had 10 kids, and lots of grandchildren (LOL) and 4 great grandchildren (is whad she would of had had she still be alive today.) I never went to visit Oma while she was in the hospital. Do I regret it? Sort of yes, sort of no. You ask why do you not regret it? Well, I don't regret it because Mom told me that she didn't look the same as she always did, and that isn't what I wanted my last memory to be of her. I do regret it because well...she's my grandmother and I feel like maybe I let her down (or the family) by not going to visit her, or that maybe I didn't love her enough, which isn't true at all. The amazing thing was that all her 10 children were at the hospital the day she died in that hospital room, praying and singing "My Jesus I Love Thee". I wish I could of been there to see that precious moment. As soon as they were done singing - she had her final breath. What a memory!?! Some of the grandkids said this about Oma at her funeral:

What is an Oma?

An Oma is someone who can make a mouse out of a hankie.

An Oma is someone who visits me so she can attend Grandparents Day at my school.

An Oma is someone who sings with me.

An Oma is someone who chases me around the kitchen because I called her grandma instead of Oma.

An Oma is someone who has a pet spider on the ceiling named Frederick.

An Oma is someone who tells me stories about Frederick.

An Oma is someone who will dance with you at your Auntie Nelly’s wedding – even if it means a sore back the next day.

An Oma is someone who loves to play games with you – dominoes, yahtzee, kismet, or pass the ace.

An Oma is someone who visits you so she can help celebrate the special occasions with you like your birthday, your grad or your wedding day.

An Oma is someone who loves to knit dolls and sweaters for us.

An Oma is someone who takes you camping.

An Oma is someone who pretends to be a pirate when she is wearing a bandana.

An Oma is someone who makes you the supper you like best = spinach and potatoes.

An Oma is someone who gives you tea and chocolate when you come over after school.

An Oma is someone who laughs at all your knock-knock jokes and other funny stories.

An Oma is someone who buys you gifts that you don’t always like, but it’s okay because you know she loves you.

An Oma is someone to love, to send letters to and to pray at bedtime for.
Oma, we love you and will miss you lots.


So, I'm trying to picture my Oma being a pirate - kind of commical really if you think about, but *sighs* these are all great memories of her.

Oma, we love you and we miss you!

We sang these 2 songs at her funeral:

My Jesus I Love Thee

1. My Jesus, I love thee, I know thou art mine;

for thee all the follies of sin I resign.

My gracious Redeemer, my Savior art thou;

if ever I loved thee, my Jesus, 'tis now.


2.I love thee because thou hast first loved me,

and purchased my pardon on Calvary's tree;

I love thee for wearing the thorns on thy brow;

if ever I loved thee, my Jesus, 'tis now.


3.In mansions of glory and endless delight;

I'll ever adore thee in heaven so bright;

I'll sing with the glittering crown on my brow;

if ever I loved thee, my Jesus, 'tis now.


How Great Thou Art


O Lord my God, When I in awesome wonder,

Consider all the worlds Thy Hands have made;

I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,

Thy power throughout the universe displayed.

Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,

How great Thou art, How great Thou art.

Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,

How great Thou art, How great Thou art!

When through the woods, and forest glades I wander,

And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees.

When I look down, from lofty mountain grandeur

And see the brook, and feel the gentle breeze.

Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,

How great Thou art, How great Thou art.

Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,

How great Thou art, How great Thou art!

And when I think, that God, His Son not sparing;

Sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in;

That on the Cross, my burden gladly bearing,

He bled and died to take away my sin.

Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,

How great Thou art, How great Thou art.

Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,

How great Thou art, How great Thou art!

When Christ shall come, with shout of acclamation,

And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart.

Then I shall bow, in humble adoration,

And then proclaim: "My God, how great Thou art!"

Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,

How great Thou art, How great Thou art.

Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,

How great Thou art, How great Thou art

Psalm 121
A song of ascents.
1 I lift up my eyes to the hills—where does my help come from?
2 My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.
3 He will not let your foot slip— he who watches over you will not slumber;
4 indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.
5 The LORD watches over you— the LORD is your shade at your right hand;
6 the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night.
7 The LORD will keep you from all harm— he will watch over your life;
8 the LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

She had 6 great grand children:
Ciara
Emily
Danica
Bennet
Noah
Patricio

Anonymous said...

Yes she did! :)

Anonymous said...

It's only been 3 years. It was 2005.